If you like exploring Castles you will find some near by.
Beeston Castle, Beeston, Tarporley, Cheshire, ruined remains of a 13th century castle, built around 1220. The castle remained in good repair until the 16th century, when it was considered to be of no further strategic importance. It was partly demolished in 1646, in accordance with Cromwell's destruction order, to prevent its further use as a stronghold. Treasure belonging to Richard II is rumoured to be hidden in the castle grounds. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Surviving part of the medieval Chester Castle, built by William the Conqueror in 1070. The original wooden motte and bailey castle was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century along with the outer bailey. The stone gateway to the inner bailey was also added, this is now known as the Agricola Tower. The remainder of the castle was destroyed by fire in the late 18th century. Free open access at any reasonable time.
Remains of extensive Medieval Marches castle, rebuilt in the 13th century. As a castle of the Welsh Marches, it was built on the border of Wales and England and provided excellent views towards Offa's Dyke over which Welsh raiders frequently invaded. Although added to and improved in the mid-14th century, the castle gradually fell into disrepair so that by 1392 it was declared to be 'utterly in ruins'. Free and open access at restricted times and dates. There is free and open access all year round to the castle grounds.
Intact sandstone medieval castle, dating back to the Norman Conquest. In 1138 the castle was involved in the civil war known as The Anarchy, between King Stephen and Empress Maud. In 1215. Around 1300 during his conflicts with the Welsh, Edward I greatly enlarged the castle, but it gradually fell into disuse following his invasion of Wales. In the 18th century, the eminent engineer Thomas Telford remodelled the castle interiors to serve as a private house. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Extensive remains of a fortified tower house, built between 1284-1293. The influence of Bishop Burnell was such that this little Shropshire village twice hosted the English Parliament, first in 1283 and again in 1285. All that remains open to the public is the shell of the former private residence. Free open access at any reasonable time.